Mad Mike Wins Round 2 of D1NZ in Seibon Carbon MadBul RX7
‘Mad Mike’ Whiddett has grabbed an early lead in this season’s Cody’s D1NZ National Drift Championship points standings after winning a battle of attrition against Gary ‘Gaz’ Whiter (Tectaloy Nissan S14 V8) at the second round in Whangarei.
With only one usable gear – third – Whiddett struggled to even complete the scrub lap, but just when it looked like Whiter would make it two round wins from two starts his Tectaloy Nissan was in the wall, the battle – and with it the round win – Whiddett’s.
“I just had no room,” Whiter explained as crew members examined his – fortunately only lightly damaged – car. “Mike was slow away, I couldn’t really see where he was, then I was in the wall, it was as simple as that.”
“No-one likes winning like that,” admitted Whiddett, “but a win is a win. Unfortunately in practice this morning I wrecked our good gearbox and we didn’t have time to change it before qualifying then the battles so we had to lock it in third (gear) and hope for the best.”
A win at Round 2 puts Mad Mike and the Seibon Carbon equipped Mazda MadBul RX7 in first place for the championship.
The Whangarei round was the second of six this season which make up the 2013/14 Cody’s D1NZ National Drifting Championship with the next at Tauranga over the January 17/18 weekend. Best of luck to Mad Mike and team at Round 3!
Recap video of Round 2. Video credit: Mad Mike Whiddett
1. Curt Whittaker (Autosure Warranties 2JZ Nissan Skyline R34) 94.5 points
2. Daniel ‘Fanga Dan’ Woolhouse (Castrol Edge Holden Commodore) 90 points
3. Mad Mike Whiddett (Red Bull/Speedhunters Mazda RX7) 90 points
4. Troy Forsythe (Rapid Performance Nissan S13) 88.5 points
5. Daynom Templeman (NAC Insurance 2JZ Mazda RX7) 97.5 points
6. Nico Reid (Luxury Sports Nissan S15) 86 points
7. Robee Nelson (Koba Batteries Nissan S15) 86
8. Chris Jackson (SurFab Nissan S14) 85 points
9. Gary ‘Gaz’ Whiter (Tectaloy Nissan S14) 85 points
10. Tux Teruya (2 Degrees/CRC Nissan 700Z) 83.5 points
Overall after 2 rounds of 6
1. Mad Mike Whiddett 204
2. Gary ‘Gaz’ Whiter 202
3. Shane Van Gisbergen 145
4. Curt Whittaker 140
5. Cole Armstrong 137
6. Troy Forsythe 130
7. Daniel ‘Fanga Dan’ Woolhouse 121
8. Kyle Jackways 118.5
9. Darren Kelly 116
10. Nico Reid 112.5
Full D1NZ press release here: http://www.d1nz.com/d1nz-news/240-whiddett-wins-as-wall-claims-whiter-in-whangarei
Find Seibon Carbon Mazda RX7 parts here: